1. The direction of your mowing can have a tremendous effect on how good your lawn looks. This is because grass has a growing pattern that can vary greatly between varieties.
2. Mow no more than 1/3 of the grass blade, so that a deeper roots are encouraged. A lawn with healthy roots is better able to seek out water and nutrients and can crowd out weeds.
3. Increase the amount of overlap in your mowing if your lawn reaches a height of 4 inches or more. You can mow in a checkerboard pattern or once up and once back to achieve the look you want.
4. Mow according to rainfall and temperature, rather than once a week. Warmer temperatures and increased rainfall mean faster growing grass.
Like honesty and hard work, the Scotts® Reel Mower is an American classic. Produces NO toxic fumes for the environment to absorb… just a couple of footprints in a beautifully cut lawn.
5. During the summer months grass has less moisture and tends to droop. It may be necessary to mow at a shorter height to get the desired appearance.
6. If you’re an early riser, mow in the morning. Push mowers are quiet and start when you do.
7. Try not to mow when the grass is wet. It usually produces a very uneven cut.
8. Walk normally while mowing. Today’s push reel mowers will provide satisfactory results with a single pass or at times two passes — no more walking back and forth.
9. A reel mower uses a cutting action that does not bruise or damage the blades of grass. Purchase a sharpening kit to keep it working properly.
10. Reel mowers have difficulty cutting tall weeds such as dandelions. Practice organic weed control and mow before they reach their full height.
11. Leave your clippings on the lawn when mowing only 1/3 of the grass blade. They compost quickly and release valuable nutrients into the soil.
12. A push mower only cuts what gets between the reel and the cutter bar. Ensure a proper cut by not allowing your lawn reach a height of much over 3-4 inches.
13. In the spring, when grass has plenty of water and is growing quickly, set the cutting height of your mower higher and mow more frequently.
14. It puts less stress on the lawn to mow in the evening or morning than to mow when the sun is pounding down in the afternoon.
15. Mow at the highest setting to block out weeds like crabgrass.
Better cut. Better lawn. The Deluxe Light Reel Mower snips the grass, cutting each blade like a pair of scissors. It’s a precise, clean cut that makes for a healthier and more attractive lawn.
16. Keep the cutter bar properly adjusted (do not over tighten) on your reel mower. Proper maintenance is important since it cuts like scissors.
17. Occasionally wipe your reel mower to remove grass, dirt and moisture after use. It will look better, and last longer.
18. Reel mowers are lightweight and easy to lift. Hang it up and out of the way to conserve garage space.
19. If turf diseases are found in your lawn, wash your mower between mowings to prevent their spread.
20. Before you begin mowing, remove all sticks and debris from the area.
21. Experiment with your push mower to see what looks best. Every yard is different and can vary greatly depending on the variety of grasses present.
22. Regularly lube (WD-40) your lawn mower’s bearings and cutting edges to keep it working properly.
23. Alternate the direction of your mowing throughout the growing season to ensure a more even cut.
24. When using a reel mower, tall grass means more work. It’s better to mow smaller amounts more frequently than it is to let the grass get long.
25. Reel mowers cut best between a height of 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 inches depending on the mower you select.