A Soil-Building Guide for Master Gardeners and Farmers. The Soul of Soil provides essential information about one of the most significant challenges for those attempting to grow delicious organic vegetables: the creation and maintenance of healthy soil. By Joe Smillie & Grace Gershuny. Paperback, 160 pages.
Key Features Include:
• Organic matter management
• Building and maintaining humus
• On-site composting
• Green manures and rotations
• Cultivation and weed control
• Nutrient balances and soil testing
• Using mineral fertilizers
• Planning for organic certification
All of us involved in the cultivation of plants — from the backyard gardener to the largest farmer — need to help regenerate a “living soil,” for only in the diversity of the soil and its creatures can we ensure the long-term health of ourselves and our environment. The Soul of Soil offers everyone a basic understanding of what soil is and what we can do to improve our own patch of it. Seen in this light, this practical handbook will be an inspiration as well.