Q & A

Welcome to the Planet Natural Garden Forum! Whether you’re new to gardening or have been at it for some time, here you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. If this is your first visit, please read over our forum instructions carefully before posting. Enjoy!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Russian Olives/ fertilizer?/ cureing?

Created by Anonymous on
  • Author

Anonymous

What fertilizers, if any are needed to make Russian Olives produce good and grow properly? Does anyone have on how to cure Russian Olives, I would prefer a recipe that uses a sea salt brine, also I read a article on the internet that made it sound like you might be able to eat olives when they are small and green, does any one know if you can do this?

#13849 Reply

Anonymous

Since I posted my last post I found a web site or two that said Russian Olives (as well as Autumn Olives) due to their nitrogen fixing capability, can be grown on highly infertal soils with little or no fertilizer, and still thrive.

#13873 Reply

Indigenous

will olives grow in southeastern montana? also what kind of apples thrive in southeastern montana

#13874 Reply

Anonymous

Only a few variety of olives will grow almost any place, Russian Olive and possibly Autmn Olives. They are drought tolerant, and cold hardy to zone three. As for apples, how Eastern Montana are you talking? Did you mean where I live, or out on the barren wasteland? Apples do well where I live, as long as they get enough water, and are protected from the wind. Mid and late blooming varietys do especialy well, as of the common late frosts in the area.

#13884 Reply

Anonymous

I have found recently that the Russian and Autmn Olives are not members of the true olive trees. Though not related to real olives, they aperently are edible anyway. The Autmn Olives are easy to find information on how to eat, and can be eaten fresh as a berry, but the Russian Olive was harder to find food usage on the internet, only found one post on a forum that said you could eat the fruit when its dried to a powder.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.