Q & A

Welcome to the Planet Natural Garden Forum! Whether you’re new to gardening or have been at it for some time, here you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. If this is your first visit, please read over our forum instructions carefully before posting. Enjoy!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BIG MURPH 5 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

John S

Hi everybody,

I want to use corn gluten meal as an organic nitrogen fertilizer (10%) for my strawberries and vegetables. When I read about it, I always find that it also works as a herbicide. Can anyone tell me how long (weeks, months) it works as a herbicide. If I apply it at my strawberries in May and afterwords in July I sow broccoli I dont want to have any germination problems of my seed, because of the corn gluten meal.

Thanks

BIG MURPH

I have used corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent herbacide on my lawn, it works pretty well, but you need to apply it again in a couple of weeks for it to be effective. If you work it into the soil as a nitrogen source you should be OK, but I would wait a couple of weeks for it to break down before planting anything.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.