Q & A

Welcome to the Planet Natural Garden Forum! Whether you’re new to gardening or have been at it for some time, here you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. If this is your first visit, please read over our forum instructions carefully before posting. Enjoy!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joetheragman 12 months ago.

• Bugs in the compost pile

Created by produce guy on
  • Author

produce guy

At least 2-4 times a year I totally turn my pile,I put a piece of plastic tarp down next to it and pull off all the leaves and twigs and dig down and siff my pile thru a screener to get to the good stuff! I'm amazed to see what kind of new bug,or bugs I'll find ants,fire ants,pillbugs and a flatter version of a pillbug(same color),flat and short cockroaches and a snake or two,but last year I came across 4 of the Biggest grub worms I've ever seen.The first one was about 5 inches long a really white and curled up,the second one maybe 6 inches,and the third was about 8 inches long and about 2 fingers thick with a good size beak or jaws,but the best was the last one ,this guy or girl was over 12 inches when I straighten him out and longer than the lenght of my shovel.He also was very white but the back end,about 4 inches from his end was a greyish blue color,almost looked like he was shedding or molting new skin.he was also about 2 fingers thick.I should have taken a picture but I didn't,but i did put them all back in the pile.

#13942 Reply

Anonymous

that is very interesting i love insects and we to have a composter and whenever i turn it there is only flies no ants or grub things that crawl around what do you put in your composter

#13943 Reply

produce guy

Lots of leaves in my c-pile ,2008 I put in 36 bags of leaves,blood meal,some cow pooh,water and lots of coffee grounds and egg shells.

#128376 Reply

joetheragman

I went to the local county dump and got two large trash cans of shredded material for free and put it into a pit that a old tree came out of. It has been in there for three days so far.
    How often do I turn it over?
    I also went out to the east county in San diego and got a pick up bed full of Goat and rabbit manure with a little chicken manure.
    I just dumped it in a pile and watered it in layers as I raked it out of the truck.
    I then covered it with a tarp. How often do I turn it and when can I mix it with the shredded material from the dump.
    I have a large section between my fruit trees about twenty by sixty feet.
    that is where I am going to till up and begin making it ready for my spring garden.
    I have not done any gardening other than a sporadic plant here and there so any Ideas on how to get it ready for the spring planting would be appreciated.
    I have seeds in packets saved up and some my brother gave me from his garden.
    I do also have an indoor garden where I use Hydroponic Ebb and Flow watering in soiless medium.
    In addition I have an old Jacuzzi I turned into a fish tank with a grow tray above the tank and twelve Ebb and flow buckets next to it.
    My fish are Gold Fish, Koi and Tilapia. Guess that will be the subject for a new THREAD LATER. nICE FORUM thanks for the ideas, Joe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.