Whether you’re new to planting in pots or a seasoned expert, our collection of 25 container gardening tips should help. Enjoy!
1. As a general rule, thinner leaved plants need more water, and thicker leaved plants will need less.
2. Consider growing dwarf varieties, they are almost always perfectly happy in containers.
3. Garlic, leeks and shallots make great container gardening plants. They have very few insect and disease problems, have shallow roots and take up very little space.
4. Plants should be sized to the container and containers should be sized to the area.
5. If you live in a hot climate use light-colored containers. This reduces heat absorption and helps keep roots cool.
6. Seed saving is fairly easy to do and it’s a great way to stretch your gardening budget!
7. Plan ahead when planting a tree in a pot. Think how big it will grow in several years and if the container you chose is big enough to support it. (more…)