Whether you’re new to lawn care or a seasoned expert, our collection of 25 reel mowing tips should help. Enjoy!
1. The direction of your mowing can have a tremendous effect on how good your lawn looks. This is because grass has a growing pattern that can vary greatly between varieties.
2. Mow no more than 1/3 of the grass blade, so that a deeper roots are encouraged. A lawn with healthy roots is better able to seek out water and nutrients and can crowd out weeds.
3. Increase the amount of overlap in your mowing if your lawn reaches a height of 4 inches or more. You can mow in a checkerboard pattern or once up and once back to achieve the look you want.
4. Mow according to rainfall and temperature, rather than once a week. Warmer temperatures and increased rainfall mean faster growing grass.
5. During the summer months grass has less moisture and tends to droop. It may be necessary to mow at a shorter height to get the desired appearance.
6. If you’re an early riser, mow in the morning. Push mowers are quiet and start when you do.
7. Try not to mow when the grass is wet. It usually produces a very uneven cut. (more…)