Whether you looking for the perfect yard or just trying to keep the neighbors from calling, our collection of 25 lawn care tips should help. Enjoy!
1. Before watering your lawn, check the soil moisture with a trowel. The top 2-3 inches should feel almost dry before adding any more water.
2. After watering, test the soil. If it isn’t wet 4-6 inches down, continue watering until it is. Grass roots will grow deeper and the lawn will be healthier.
3. Watering between 4 and 9 a.m. helps ensure that the sun won’t rob moisture from your lawn.
4. Keep weeds from going to seed. If you can reduce the number of weed seeds in and around your lawn, you’ve won half the battle.
5. Thatch will not form from cut grass. Instead, the lawn clippings will attract earthworms, which break down thatch.
6. Remove thatch in the spring or early summer using a rake or a tool especially designed to remove that matted, dead grass.
7. Compost improves soil structure, texture, and aeration, and increases the soil’s ability to hold water. Add compost (no more than 1/2 inch) to the lawn to make your grass healthier. (more…)